The Count Down To My Own Demise

I have, for the last 9 months, been employed by company "B". I am in a remote office far from the HQ and have the feeling that they will be shutting down my office once my final project is finished. I have been doing as little as possible to maintain my employed status and fill most of my days playing video games and writing blogs to fill my time. This blog will be a running daily diary of my life until I am fired. I refuse to quit. Let’s see how long I can go.

 
My BlogLog Readers

Other Affiliates

Blogs Of Note

  • Barry's Best 2007
  • The Price of Rice!
  • Central FL Real Estate News
  • Natural Deficiency
  • rilah rumbles
  • 10 Things Everyone Hates About Their Job.
    Thursday, January 11, 2007
    So I was just surfing the net when I came across this little blog. [Click Here]

    It was posted by a doctor who listed out the top 10 things we all really hate about our own jobs. I can relate to a bunch of these, how many do you relate to?

    1. Lack of Communication
    2. Unfair Pay
    3. No Job Security
    4. Under Appreciation
    5. Favoritism
    6. Overworked
    7. Micromanagement
    8. Incompetent Managers
    9. No Opportunity for Advancement
    10. Overbearing Boss

    To give up a small bit of personal information about myself, I was in the military for about 6 years. During that time I had a great deal of job satisfaction. But there were times when changes were made that seemed, not only to me, either detrimental or just plain useless. If you've ever been in the military you know sometime things change just because someone wants them to change and because they have the power to change it. (they also have tiny dicks but I digress) Well during my last 18 months too many of these useless changes occurred so much so that I had determined that if I was not under a contract to be in the military for another 18 months I would have quit on the spot. It was at that time I realized that I was going to get out of the military and put myself in control of my own employment situations. Now, there are circumstances where you have to stay put in your current job due to personal responsibilities, i.e. bills, kids, family, house, etc. and I've been in those situations but there is something so empowering and freeing when you walk into the office of a job you hate and say "I Quit!".

    The job I had for 4 years after i got out of the military and before I got into my current industry was the worst. I was yelled at for questioning the safety of myself and fellow employees, I was looked down at for making suggestions to improve productivity, etc., etc. there were many other reasons this company sucked to work for. Bottom line was the boss wanted me to be like every other monkey he had working in his shop. So after 4 years I quit. With no other job lined up and only a few grand saved for living expenses. I cleaned out my work space on the Friday before and walked in first thing Monday morning and calmly said "I no longer work for you, I quit" and turned and walked out the door. When I got into my car i had this rush of adrenaline and literally felt a weight lift from my shoulders. I felt like i could look people in the eye when I talked to them again. This place made me miserable and my roommates and friends at the time noticed a few weeks later how much happier I was. People i knew told me they didn't realize how bad my situation was when I told them about it but could understand now that I had qui because of my physical and mental appearance, it was that noticeable!

    So I guess what I’m getting at is, take a look at this top 10 list, go take a look at the original blog. [Click Here]
    If your unhappy about what you do or how your treated…QUIT! Of course quit if you can, think about it, can you live without certain things and struggle for a few weeks while getting by. If you can, they will be the best weeks of you life trust me.

    Now the greatest thing about this whole miserable experience is that I took about 6 months off to “find myself” I didn’t go run out to find a full time job as I had some money saved to live off of. (I had been thinking about quitting for a few months) I did not have a girlfriend, wife, or kids, to support, and I took odd jobs around town when I wanted to for a little $uplement. When I did buckle down and decide I needed to get a new fulltime job I found a very bottom floor position at a company. But it was at a company where I knew no one and enjoyed the product they made. I used the product myself very often. I worked my way up the food chain to this industry to where I’m at now and, when I am actively engaged in doing my job, I love it. Absolutely love it. I get stressed; I get pissed when things go wrong, but overall my job rules! So the saying goes, If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life. I believe that and this is why sitting here doing nothing has been so hard on me. My year in 2007 will change, I will make it change and I’ll do it on my own terms. There’s a reason I’m still sitting at this desk but not for long.


    Till then….I’m playin games!


    (Quick side note: So, the day I quit that fucked up horrible job. The day I got into my car and felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders. Yeah, on my drive home that morning I got pulled over for not having my car registered. It cost me about $150 to take care of it. As soon as I got pulled over I was still smiling because I finally quit after a full year of thinking about quitting and I thought “Oh shit, this is not a good start to the rest of my life” But, it all worked out in the end.)

    Also thanks to Sunny for making me think about this. :)

    Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

    posted by Me @ 6:51 PM  
    Blink It
    1 Comments:
    • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Well I think you hit on the spot.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Add to Google

    Subscribe to "The Count Down To My Own Demise" by Email


    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

    I heart FeedBurner

    © The Count Down To My Own Demise .Template by Isnaini Dot Com