The Count Down To My Own Demise

I have, for the last 9 months, been employed by company "B". I am in a remote office far from the HQ and have the feeling that they will be shutting down my office once my final project is finished. I have been doing as little as possible to maintain my employed status and fill most of my days playing video games and writing blogs to fill my time. This blog will be a running daily diary of my life until I am fired. I refuse to quit. Let’s see how long I can go.

 
My BlogLog Readers

Other Affiliates

Blogs Of Note

  • Barry's Best 2007
  • The Price of Rice!
  • Central FL Real Estate News
  • Natural Deficiency
  • rilah rumbles
  • Time to sort things out.
    Thursday, January 04, 2007
    Last night I went to dinner with a friend who works in my industry, we met each other while working together at “Company A” and have become close since. Half way through our conversation, which happened to be all about work, I said to him, “You know, this is the most intellectually stimulating conversation I’ve had about work in months.” And sadly it had been, but I felt really good about talking to someone who understood the language I was speaking because to the people at my present company (“O.A.G”) the lingo used in our industry is “All Greek to them”. To which my friend replied to my comment with an apology for talking so much about work during our dinner but soon realized why I had said what I did. Maybe it was the self realization of the comment and dejected look on my face right after I said it that he caught on.

    To elaborate a little more on this, it was at that moment that I realized I really missed doing the job that I loved. It was enjoyable and made me feel good to be able to talk through some of the problems that my friend was experiencing at his current job and to explain what I would do in certain situations and how I would handle certain problems. I felt useful to a point. I guess the current situation I’m in right now is not all roses as much as one would think, my current situation is the epitome of the cliché saying “Be careful what you wish for”. Maybe if I didn’t truly enjoy what I do, when in fact I’m doing it, I would not have these thoughts pop up. If I was in a dead end, “any-monkey-with-fingers-could-do-it”, kind of job maybe I could be this lazy and unproductive for months on end. But by talking to my friend last night it hit me that I do miss being challenged and truly being productive and why it is I love what I do.

    Here at “Company B” even at my most productive moments I felt like I was teaching high school students how to add 2+2 but I also had to teach them why addition is good for you and that bigger and better things happen when you know how to add simple numbers. This place is in no way a competitive company in our industry (if I only knew that prior to taking the job!) and since I was coming into this position from “Company A” with more experience than anyone here at “Company B” had, I ended up teaching quite a few people the basics of the industry. I went home each night exhausted and frustrated that I was explaining simple business practices to my boss, “Dickboy”, and he had an MBA! When I fill out online surveys or applications I have to check the “Some College” box. But while working here I had to explain to “Dickboy” why he should never have told our clients why we can’t do what he promised them we could do and, how he could have done the same thing without taking all the risk. But I am where I am.


    I am leaving for a 3 day mini-vacation with the wife today and hope that getting out of town will clear my head a little and get me to really put my options in perspective.

    Have fun at work people.

    Screw this place, I’m leaving…for a few days.

    Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

    posted by Me @ 1:54 PM  
    Blink It
    0 Comments:
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    Add to Google

    Subscribe to "The Count Down To My Own Demise" by Email


    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

    I heart FeedBurner

    © The Count Down To My Own Demise .Template by Isnaini Dot Com